You’ve Earned It/YEI
ran the first of eight surveys in December 2022.
The topic was Lifestyle.
We looked at certain areas such as Pets, Hobbies, Cars and Caravans.
Your valuable insights regarding your needs and wants are critical in informing YEI as to what products and services best meet your needs, and how YEI can provide a very relevant service to South African 60-plussers.
Thank you for your keen participation – it was great to read your responses.
We surveyed over 300 respondents, between the ages of 60 and 84, 43% from the Western Cape, 27% from Gauteng, 16% from KZN and the balance from the other provinces. The survey revealed the following:
- 53% of respondents own a pet, and 61% have dogs, with 29% owning cats
- 58% of the survey participants advised that they would like to see more pet related content.
- 42% said that they buy their pet related supplies at local retailers, with 32% purchasing from pet stores.
- When it comes to hobbies, gardening, reading and arts and crafts were the most popular categories. 80% of you advised that you would like to see more hobby related content on YEI.
- There is a broad interest in entertainment such as going to the movies, theatres and musicals, opera, live sport and participation in choirs. However, going to the movies was the most popular, followed closely by theatre and musicals. Interestingly, this fact is corroborated by the number of entries YEI continues to receive for the ongoing recent Galileo competition and previous entries for theatre shows and musicals. Entertainment has opened up in South Africa post-covid – see the latest great theatre give-aways on the WIN with YEI page! 😊
- My goodness, you are a fit lot of 60-plussers. 53% of you participate in some kind of fitness activity with 40% enjoying walking, and 23 % enjoying exercise/fitness/gym activities.
- Interestingly, only 24% are involved in volunteer work.
- 88% of you own a car with only 12% of you intending to upgrade your car in the near future and the majority will upgrade to a small, economical car.
- This result came as a surprise – we assumed this age group would be keen on caravanning, but in this survey, only 5% of respondents said they owned a caravan, and the majority – 82% advised that they were not interested in seeing caravan or camping related content. We do believe that this result may have been different if we had received a larger group of respondents.
The next survey is happening, and related to financial planning. We urge you to complete the survey on Financial planning – click here to view
This is an extremely important survey, the results of which we will share in due course.