The pet name for Dullstroom, Dullies, just doesn’t do it justice!
We reckon Dullies, nestled in the Mpumalanga Highlands,
is one of those best-kept secrets that seniors love.
And some secrets are meant to be shared!!
South Africa has several unique villages and towns dotted across its magnificent, diverse land, and Dullstroom is right up there with the best and most unique of what a small town has to offer. Peace and quiet and tranquillity deluxe combined with the buzz of a fascinating village. Incredible and delicious food. Amazing views. Fun and novel experiences.
Let’s check it out. Let’s delve into what makes Dullies definitely not dull … Some secrets are meant to be shared, right?!
The essential facts
- Dullstroom, a charming village nestled in the Mpumalanga Highlands
- 2 ½ hours drive from Gauteng
- Situated halfway between Johannesburg and the Kruger Park
- The highest village in South Africa – altitude is 2100m above sea level
- A popular training base for top European athletes during the summer months
- Dullstroom boasts the highest railway station ever constructed in South Africa. It is a staggering 2 076 metres above sea level and exudes an old-world charm that makes for gorgeous photographs.
- This small South African village is the only known place in which beech and elm trees grow together in such abundance.
- Dullstroom is the country’s top trout fishing area! Also perfect for hiking, fly-fishing, mountain biking, archery
- The clock shop in the heart of Dullstroom has the largest collection of clocks in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Dullstroom is home to the endangered Blue Crane, and the Crowned Crane, as well as the critically endangered Wattled Crane. Bird watchers and nature enthusiasts are able to enjoy a prime opportunity to spot such intriguing species.
- Dullstroom is also home to a small whisky bar which houses the largest collection of whiskeys in the whole of the Southern Hemisphere.
- Are you a golfer? You’ll love this – The Ernie Els design Highland Gate golf course has been rated 15th in the Golf Digest’s top 100 golf courses in South Africa.
- And for the foodies – eclectic pubs, expect true culinary experiences, delightful coffee shops
- And for the beer and whiskey drinkers – a world-renowned whiskey bar and a craft-beer brewery
Amazing – let’s catch up there next week! But there’s more…
Where to stay
Greystone Lodge ticks all the boxes, plus has a great pensioner discount!
|√||Tranquil self-catering accommodation – perfect during these covid-times. Also offers three meals a day – on request|
|√||Private chalets, individually furnished – have a real log fire with unlimited free firewood for the cool highland evenings.|
|√||Fly fishing, archery, nature walks, bird-watching, golf driving range, team building and function facilities all available. If required, pre-arranged meals delivered to your chalet.
|√||Pet-friendly. Check out the pet-friendly rules and regs.|
|√||Perfect for solo travellers|
|√||Great pensioner discount!|
Click here to read more…
It is our understanding that the following establishments may offer pensioner discounts, but best to check before booking:
Treelands self-catering accommodation. Click here.
Elandskloof Trout Farm. Click here
Dullstroom Manor. Click here
What to do in Dullstroom
Birds of Prey and Rehabilitation Centre
Come and get a close up view of how raptors fly and hunt. You will be amazed at how agile and graceful these birds are in flight and the accompanying educational talk is very enlightening.
Dullstroom on horseback
There is no better way to experience this beauty than by horse riding through Dullstroom town. Dullstroom has a unique charm, characterized by beautiful scenery, low temperatures, high altitude, misty mornings and peaceful streets. Offering out rides for young and old, the experienced and beginner, we have surefooted, well-trained horses to ensure an unforgettable experience.
Flower Walks at Verloren Vallei Nature Reserve
The Verloren Vallei Nature Reserve is an internationally recognized wetland reserve with high biological diversity. This 6 000-hectare grassland reserve is located near Dullstroom. The reserve has abundant birdlife and many rare and special plant species. The best time to visit the reserve is during the warmer summer months when an array of orchid species are in flower. Pensioner entrance rate available.
You have to enjoy some of the culinary experiences in Dullies
Dullstroom Inn pub
Let’s take a trip down Memory Lane! Do you remember the first ever Sunday Times “Finders Keepers” prize of a million rand? It was hidden in the wall of a well-known English pub in Dullstroom! Well, The Dullstroom Inn pub still remains a pub in a million! Hearty meals prepared from fresh ingredients from local farms and ice-cold beer served in front of a crackling log fire! Can’t wait to visit!
The Donutery in Dullstroom
Scrumptious mini doughnuts (donuts) with delectable toppings. Will make you salivate and come back for more. Guaranteed!!
Udderlicious Milkshake Bar
This is a no-brainer! Have you ever thought about going to Milkshake Heaven? No visit to Dullstroom is complete without a visit to the Udderlicious Milkshake Bar where you can choose from over 40 flavours and a variety of toppings. Their sensational flavours include Ferro Rocher, Mixed Berry, Turkish Delight, Candy Floss, Bar One Peanut Butter and Jelly Beans.
Great food at Mrs Simpsons
Named after the infamous Wallis Simpson (are you watching The Crown on Netflix?). If you are planning a few days in Dullstroom, then no visit to Dullstroom will be complete without visiting Dullstroom’s well-known Mrs Simpson’s Restaurant, which rates as one of the top country restaurants in South Africa with superb food and service!
Mad Hatter’s Café
Now here’s a quirky café armed with punny menus, old books, fabulous coffee and delicious cakes. Coupled with a varied menu and a Top 100 Coffee Show Award, where else would you want to sit and watch the world go by?
So, now we have uncovered some of the wonderful mysteries
and best-kept Dullstroom secrets,
you can start planning that intriguing getaway.
Would you like to visit Greystone Lodge?
Please complete the following form
and reference Greystone Lodge/YEI 249 in your message.