Skip to main content

Last updated:  4 April 2024

Please note: 

You’ve Earned It has obtained this information off the City of Cape Town’s website and can be found here.

Please contact your local Municipality directly for any enquiries regarding municipal matters e.g. rates, electricity, water etc.  You’ve Earned It is unable to assist with these enquiries.

YEI is not liable for any outdated information that may be reflected on this website.


10th March 2024 – Press Release – Pensioners encouraged to apply for City support – Click here


Pensioner Rebates for Rates in Cape Town

If you are dependent on a pension or social grant, and are 60 years or older earning R4 500 or less gross income a month, you may qualify for a 100% rates rebate. Pensioners aged 60 years or older earning more than R4 501, but no more than R17 500 a month, may qualify for a 10% – 95% rates rebate. 

Please read or download our Indigent Benefits and Rates Relief Brochure for a summary of how the City offers support to those in need. We recommend that you visit City Connect where we offer step-by-step guidance on how to make an application for support, depending on your status.


March 2023

“The City of Cape Town has passed a 52% rates relief increase for all residential properties under R5 million, saying it would alleviate the pressure on lower and middle-income ratepayers.

A special council meeting was held on Friday morning where the City tabled the proposal to pass the 52% rates relief for lower and middle-income earners.

The first R450 000 of property value will now be rates-free for all lower and middle-income ratepayers, from R285 000 previously.

The council also greenlit a plan to help more pensioners and social grant recipients benefit from rate rebates by raising the upper qualifying limit from R17 500 to R22 000 total monthly household income, with effect from 1 July 2023.

The relief measures form part of a package of general valuation policy proposals which were served at the council.

Final proposals would be reflected in the City’s 2023/24 Budget, which will be tabled to council in March for public participation.”**

How to apply

Step 1: Download and complete the Rates Rebate Application for Owners Dependent on Social Grants Form in the download section below.

Click here for a copy of the Application form in Afrikaans
Click here for a copy of the Application form in English
Click here for a copy of the application form in isiXhosa

Please include with your application:

  • proof of income for the owner and spouse/partner and three months’ original, printed bank statements for all banking accounts;
  • copies of ID of owner and spouse/partner;
  • copies of lease agreement if you own additional property;
  • proof of pension or social grant;
  • proof of investments or dividends;
  • proof of usufruct/habitation/executor/administrator or curator;
  • proof of trust document and income of all beneficiaries;
  • a copy of the applicant’s ID and proof of income for all owners if the property is registered to multiple owners;
  • a copy of the applicant’s (person residing) ID and proof of income for all other members if the property is registered as a Close Corporation (CC);
  • a copy of death certificate or Will, if applicable;
  • any other documents that City may deem necessary

Step 2: Once you have completed your form, you can hand-deliver the necessary information to your nearest Walk-in Centre, email it to or submit it via post to: Department: RevenueCivic Centre12 Hertzog Boulevard, PO Box 655, Cape Town, 8000.

You can also apply for rebates via e-Services. To apply, you will first need to register for e-Services.


The e-Services application does not fully support mobile phone or tablet access – please use your laptop or desktop instead.
Our applications are best viewed using the latest versions of the following web browsers, Internet Explorer 11, Chrome 72+, Firefox 65+ or Safari 12+.


Please contact the City of Cape Town to find out if you qualify for the LIFELINE TARIFF via their Call centre number. This must be requested by the customer, it is not applied automatically and is subject to meeting conditions/criteria.




It is important to contact the City of Cape Town directly
via their website or call their help line at 0860 103 089
regarding any queries you might have, 
and to ensure that the information is up to date.



Please note: 

YEI is unable to respond to any queries regarding
COCT rates rebates for pensioners.

Please contact City of Cape Town directly as detailed above

While every care is taken to ensure the validity of the information YEI cannot be held liable  for any outdated information that may have been reflected on the Government department’s or Municipalities website.


** Source: City of Cape Town passes rates relief for lower- to middle-income ratepayers | News24

Subscribe to YEI

Rebates in other cities:

Nelson Mandela Bay – Senior Citizen Rates or Rebates

City of Tshwane – Senior Citizen Rates Rebates

City of Johannesburg – Senior Citizen Rates Rebates


Ekurhuleni Metro – Senior Citizen Rates Rebates

Ethekweni Metro – Senior Citizen Rates Rebates


  • Lydia says:

    I neeed to know if my application submitted 10 weeks ago my ref 9102131138 kindly investigate and let me know as soon as possible.
    Lydia Teperson

  • Just. Het. Olivier says:

    How do i apply for this please?

  • Tanya Allen says:

    About three years ago my mom’s estate was left to me. Because I am currently unemployed I do not have money to put it in my name. I do have a prepaid electricity meter but not a water one. My bills are currently up to date. Can I apply for this indigent relief?

    • Marilynh says:

      Dear Tanya

      Probably best you contact the CCT directly to find out from them.

      Kind regards
      Marilyn, YEI Editor

  • Wanda De Jager says:

    I rent property to a pensioner couple. There is a pre-paid meter in the flat. Can these pensioners (tenants) apply for a pensioner rebate on the pre-paid electricity they pay in the rented apartment?

    • Marilynh says:

      Dear Wanda

      You will need to ask the CCT this question. I would imagine so, but rather get advice from the appropriate channel.

      Kind regards

  • Colin says:

    We ar 2 pensioners in our 70’s who rent a house which has a pre paid meter installed can we get any rebate

    • Marilynh says:

      Dear Colin

      YEI is unable, unfortunately, to assist with queries such as this. Please contact the City of Cape Town direct.

      Kind regards
      Marilyn, YEI Editor

  • Shariefa kolia says:

    If you own a business property. With the front you lease out as business. YOU STAY WITH YOUR PARENTS That is pensioners in flatlet on the same property and you are 60.. YOUR PARENTS ARE NOT PAY RENT WHY DO YOU HAVE TO ADD YOUR PARENTS INCOME AS YOUR INCOME

    • Marilynh says:

      Dear Shariefa

      You will need to take up your query directly with the City of Cape Town.

      Kind regards

  • Norman says:

    I receive a sassa pension grant and would like to know if i could get a rebate on my pre paid electricity , and what forms and what is the process .
    Thank You

    • Marilynh says:

      Dear Norman
      You will need to contact the City directly with your query.
      Warm regards
      Marilyn, YEI Editor

  • Sally Giles says:

    I presented all the necessary documents required for applying for a Senior Citizens rates rebate at Durbanville Municipality this ,morning 25 January 2018. There is one amount on my bank statement for a Medical Aid Refund which I must now get an affidavit for. How am I supposed to do this. A doctor submitted the account directly to Medical Aid and they in turn sent me a refund which I then paid to the doctor. Nowhere on the application form does it mention Medical Aid Refund amounts. It specifically says financial information. I have spent weeks getting all the necessary documents together. I find this totally unnecessary and inconvenient

    • Marilynh says:

      Dear Sally

      Regrettably, we are unable to advise on this. You will need to speak to the Durbanville Municipality about this. Sounds rather odd, though.

      Kind regards

  • Sally Giles says:

    Thanks Marilyn I spoke to them this morning. Can’t understand why they think it is necessary to get an affidavit for a Medical Aid Refund. Definitely not income when I paid it to the doctor.

  • ganeefa Adams says:

    Good day I been trying since last year to apply at Meltonrose offices for pensioners rebate but the staff very unhelpful been there 3 yrs I’m a widowed Sassa pensioner I don’t know why they give me such bad service

    • Marilynh says:

      Dear Ganeefa, Unfortunately YEI is unable to assist when it comes to municipal accounts/rebates etc. You will need to contact your local municipality directly. YEI

  • James says:

    Hi there. Does this apply to other municipalities across the country? I am in Welkom, in the Free State.

    • Marilynh says:

      Dear James – we are trying to get information from other municipalities – with great difficulty! As and when we do, we will upload the relevant information on to the YEI site and inform our readers accordingly. YEI

  • jenny says:

    I am disable and 60 and own a property that I rent out for income. I had no income from march to end of January as I tried to sell my home apart from living off my savings and UIF. I now have the rent money as income but it is more than R10,000 do I qualify for any rebate now and do I qualify for the period in which I did not have an income for a disability rebate.

    • Marilynh says:

      Dear Jenny

      You will need to contact the CoCT directly for a response to your query.

      Kind regards

  • yvonne says:

    I would like to know why the Johannesburg municipality rebate towards the rates are so much cheaper than that of Cape Town. Pensioners rebates should be the same no matter where you reside.

  • Elna says:

    Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely apply.
    God Bless

  • Nontando Mnqanqeni says:

    Sorry I have problem here its about my units every time if I buy electricity city didact I buy electricity for 100 city didact 50 then I myb get 25 units only.I’m stay in LANGA N2 gate way

  • drum dispenser handling says:

    whoah this blog is wonderful i love reading your posts. Keep up the good work! You know, lots of people are searching around for this info, you could aid them greatly.

  • Mrs P R Kingsley says:

    I have been receiving a rates rebates for years now. Surely I do not have to reapply each time?

    • Angela W says:

      Dear Pat, the information is taken from the City of Cape Towns website, as far as we can see your application will be valid until 30 June 2022. Please see below the extract from their website “Once you have registered as indigent you will need to re-apply every 12 months from date of approval. However, if you are 60 years or older, your application will remain valid until the
      next municipal valuation of your property, which is expected to be valid until 30 June 2022 or until a Supplementary Valuation is implemented.”

  • James Winstanley says:

    If your municipal charges are beyond your means but you do not qualify for a rebate do you then have to sell your property ?

  • Tim says:

    Hi I would like to know if this applies to senior citizens who live in a complex as well as I recently found out that the levies for a senior citizen is somewhere between 1000 and 1200 Rands and they only receive state grant of I think it’s 2100 rand,,, which I think is ridiculous because what is this household living on after paying the levy

  • 4130 Steel Plate Supplier says:

    Nice post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I’m impressed! Very useful info specially the final section 🙂 I deal with such information much. I was looking for this certain information for a long time time}. Thank you and best of luck.

  • Mrs G Coopen says:

    I am residing in Benoni in Gauteng. I have applied fir a Rebate in respect of the Municipal Property Rstes Act of 2004 .I am a pensioner collecting SASSA GRANT.Ganded in my required documents to the Department of Finance.Hsve not heard anything, I tried call no answer mpls can u assist. Thxs rdgs Mrs Coopen

    • Marilynh says:

      Dear Mrs Coopen

      Unfortunately, YEI is not able to assist with municipality enquiries. You will need to go directly to your local municipality with your query.

      Regards, YEI