We don’t like to use the word retirement anymore. We prefer to ask open ended questions for people in the second half of life. In this way, individuals can take ownership, learn, and navigate their unique path.
You may be 50, 60 or 70. It does not matter. What matters is that you think about your own journey, make plans, and continue to live a fulfilled life. Health and wealth challenges can get in the way. That is part of the journey. Moving, death, retrenchment or empty nest may be some of the challenges you will face. They are also part of the journey, but the challenge is not to get stuck.
We asked some people who are traveling this journey about what they feel success looks like for them. We all look for a recipe we can follow. We will give you THREE P’s to help you unpack your own story. Remember, that in a world where we are living longer, there may be several chapters. The framework remains but we do need to adjust and navigate a different road as we continue this journey, chapter by chapter. A chapter can be a decade, a year or even just a few months. Life is dynamic.
Below we have listed the THREE P’s and some general examples.
- Travel: Plan trips to new places you’ve always wanted to visit
- Indulge in hobbies: Take up a new hobby or revisit an old one that you enjoyed in the past.
- Try something new: Take a class or try a new activity to experience new pleasure and joy.
- Spend time with family and friends: Make time for the people who matter most to you.
- Volunteer: Give back to your community by volunteering for a cause you care about.
- Join a group or club: Meet new people and make new friends through a group or club with similar interests.
- Start a business or pursue entrepreneurship: Put your skills and experience to use by starting your own business or becoming an entrepreneur.
- Take on a home renovation project: Tackle a home renovation project you’ve always wanted to do.
- Write a book: Write a book, blog, or a journal, it could be a memoir or a fiction.
- Keep learning: Never stop learning, take classes, read books, and attend seminars to continue to learn and grow.
What would your current plan look like for this year? Take some time to journal and think about what this means for you ? Add some goals and action plans. Be as descriptive and clear about the steps and outcome for each item This framework will give you a reason to get up and positive energy. It is a repeatable framework that we can continue to use throughout our lives.
Ask those who you engage with, what this may be for their lives. Share the framework with them. We learn so much from others. It creates great conversations and can be inspirational.
This article was originally published by Lynda Smith of 50plus skills and can be found here https://50plus-skills.co.za/2023/01/29/the-three-ps/
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON 50PLUS SKILLS
or contact below
Facebook page: facebook.com/50PlusSkills
E-mail address: email@example.com