Last updated on: 22 June 2022
You’ve Earned It has obtained this information off the City of Cape Town’s website and can be found here.
YEI is not liable for any outdated information that may be reflected on this website.
Pensioner Rebates for Rates in Cape Town
If you are dependent on a pension or social grant, and are 60 years or older earning R4 500 or less gross income a month, you may qualify for a 100% rates rebate. Pensioners aged 60 years or older earning more than R4 501, but no more than R17 500 a month, may qualify for a 10% – 95% rates rebate.
Please read or download our Indigent Benefits and Rates Relief Brochure for a summary of how the City offers support to those in need. We recommend that you visit City Connect where we offer step-by-step guidance on how to make an application for support, depending on your status.
How to apply
Step 1: Download and complete the Rates Rebate Application for Owners Dependent on Social Grants Form in the download section below.
Please include with your application:
- proof of income for the owner and spouse/partner and three months’ original, printed bank statements for all banking accounts;
- copies of ID of owner and spouse/partner;
- copies of lease agreement if you own additional property;
- proof of pension or social grant;
- proof of investments or dividends;
- proof of usufruct/habitation/executor/administrator or curator;
- proof of trust document and income of all beneficiaries;
- a copy of the applicant’s ID and proof of income for all owners if the property is registered to multiple owners;
- a copy of the applicant’s (person residing) ID and proof of income for all other members if the property is registered as a Close Corporation (CC);
- a copy of death certificate or Will, if applicable;
- any other documents that City may deem necessary
Step 2:Once you have completed your form, you can hand-deliver the necessary information to your nearest Walk-in Centre, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit it via post to: Department: Revenue, Civic Centre, 12 Hertzog Boulevard, PO Box 655, Cape Town, 8000.
The e-Services application does not fully support mobile phone or tablet access – please use your laptop or desktop instead.
Our applications are best viewed using the latest versions of the following web browsers, Internet Explorer 11, Chrome 72+, Firefox 65+ or Safari 12+.
Please contact the City of Cape Town to find out if you qualify for the LIFELINE TARIFF via their Call centre number. This must be requested by the customer, it is not applied automatically and is subject to meeting conditions/criteria.
It is important to contact the City of Cape Town directly
via their website or call their help line at 0860 103 089
regarding any queries you might have, and to ensure that the information is up to date.
YEI is unable to respond to any queries regarding
COCT rates rebates for pensioners.
Please contact City of Cape Town directly as detailed above
While every care is taken to ensure the validity of the information YEI cannot be held liable for any outdated information that may have been reflected on the Government department’s or Municipalities website.
Rebates in other cities:
Discounts for Seniors, Pensioner, Rebates, Senior Discounts, YEI, You've Earned It