Tech Tim’s July tip is all about
disapearing data and one way to stop it.
Ever re-charged your data
and discovered a day later that it was all gone?
It could be that you have
unknowingly subscribed to WASP services,
and these have been installed on your device.
What is a WASP service
A WASP service, is a way to create and distributes mobile content to subscribers via network and infrastructure of your cellphone provider. WASPs can help businesses to generate revenue by providing premium content that subscribers are willing to pay for.
There are, however, cases where rogue unscrupulous companies use a WASP service to secretly subscribe thousands of cellular users to their content subscription services every month.
South African SIM cards are open to WASP billing by default, and the responsibility is on the subscriber to regularly check their cellphone account and determine that they are not being defrauded.
This can be an infuriating problem to deal with, especially when trying to reclaim the stolen money from the WASP through WASPA or your mobile operator.
Luckily, mobile networks offer a few ways to check if you are subscribed to any WASP services, and some even allow you to block them altogether.
Below is a guide on how to check if you are subscribed to a WASP on South Africa’s mobile networks.
How to find out if you have a WASP service installed, and what to do about it.
Each cell phone service provider has a different method for checking on WASP services. The method differs depending on whether you are on a contract or on pay-as-you-go. If your service provider is not listed below then contact your provider for assistance.
Vodacom customers can check their WASP subscriptions and cancel any content service subscriptions through the USSD menu.
To do this customers must follow the steps below:
- Dial *135#
- Select option 12 (Next)
- Select option 2 (Services)
- Select option 10 (Next)
- Select option 1 (Content services)
- Select option 1 (View and Stop content Services)
- If you have WASP services on your device, you will now be given the opportunity to cancel these services
- Users on Vodacom can also stop all WASPs by SMSing “Stop All” to 31050.
- Use this link for more information on the Vodacom website
- Check/manage subscription services by dialling
- Select option 2 (Content Services)
- Select option 1 (Manage Content Services to view or cancel subscriptions)
- Select option 2 (Manage Premium Rated Services to set spend limits for PRS or opt out of PRS marketing)
- Block PRS charges by dialling
- Select option 99 (more)
- Select option 4 (Block/Unblock future charges)
- Select option 2 (Premium-rated services)
- Block PRS marketing by dialling
- Select option 3 (Stop third party messages)
- Use this link for more information on the MTN website
Use the USSD string
*133*1# to block all existing and future content billing
- Use this link for more information on the Cell C website
- Block all WASP subscriptions by enabling a setting in the Telkom app:
- Log into the app and navigate to My Products > Manage > Protect Your Mobile Number, and set it to “On”.
- To manage premium content subscriptions, navigate to My Products > Subscriptions > Content Services.
- Alternatively, dial 180 and follow the prompts.
- Use this link for more information on the Telkom website
If you have a question for Tech Tim, please complete the form below.
Please note that “Tech Tim” cannot supply immediate or 24/7 assistance.
If you are urgently needing assistance,
please contact an IT company in your area
or contact your children or grandchildren who may be able to assist
YEI tech-related articles: