Easter for the Elderly
- Circle of Friends is a community-minded group of friends, and friends of friends, with the common interest of uplifting and bringing joy to the elderly. Their projects are: ‘Santa for Seniors’ and ‘Easter for the Elderly’
- Each year at Christmas and Easter time, Circle of Friends makes up parcels for the elderly living at Huis Zonnekus, Huis Ysterplaat and surrounding Communicare flats. There are literally thousands of seniors living in this area who are living on or in most cases, below the breadline.
- At Easter time, they make up Easter parcels consisting of a toiletry, warm winter socks, Easter eggs and other treats such as biscuits, chips etc.
- The Circle of Friends would like to encourage you to become involved in their projects and make a difference to these treasured, but often forgotten, members of our society
Please note that this is a Cape Town project,
with drop off points in Edgemead, Sanddrift North and Table View.
It’s almost Easter: a time of year where many spend quality time with their friends and family, but for many senior citizens this isn’t the case. It’s yet another time of year where it becomes painfully obvious that their lives are an almost constant struggle and that the dream of a comfortable retirement with regular visits from family simply isn’t a reality. This year more than ever, we are faced with uncertain times and due to the COVID risks & lockdown, the Seniors have had very little visitors and donations.
Our Easter for the Elderly project is now in its 11th year (although last year was cancelled due to the COVID pandemic) – hot on the heels of our Santa for Seniors project which has been running for 13 years now.
This Easter we’d like to collect as many Easter parcels as we can in order to reach as many of our seniors as possible – we plan to deliver the parcels on the Easter weekend (2nd – 5th April)…starting with Ria Abel (Huis Ysterplaat), Huis Zonnekus and then moving on to the senior residents of the surrounding Communicare flats.
We’d like to request that each Easter parcel contain the following:
- 8 – 10 marshmallow Easter Eggs
- 1 Hot Chocolate Sachet / Tin
- 1 packet of biscuits OR 1 packet of Super C’s
- 1 or more toiletries e.g. Hand sanitiser, Camphor Cream (or any deep moisturising cream as many elderly people suffer with very dry skin during winter), Vicks, Zambuk, Vapour Rub, Vaseline
- An optional Winter spoil such as socks, gloves or beanie
Please place in a clear ziplock or plastic bag. We will place a sticker on each, but if you’d like to decorate with ribbon or similar, please feel free.
Please arrange to deliver to us by COB Friday, 26th March. The drop off points for the donations is as follows:
- EDGEMEAD: Barksole, Edgemead Village Centre, Mon to Fri 8am-5pm, Sat 9am-1pm
- SANDDRIFT NORTH: 52 Fortuna Road – Please whatsapp Janine on 083 453 2432 to arrange a delivery time.
- TABLE VIEW: Nature’s Deli – The Health Shop, 8 Raats Drive, 021 557 1420 (Bridget), Mon to Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 10am-2pm, Sun 10am-1pm
If you are able to assist us with the Easter project by donating gift packs or any other contribution then please contact us on: firstname.lastname@example.org or Lucy on 084 559 4990 or Clarissa on 084 559 6918 or Kerry 083 411 0889 or Carol on 082 741 9355 or whatsapp Janine on 083 453 2432
As always, thanks for your love and support. Our elderly really need us and appreciate each one of you 😊. It’s been a particularly rough year for them, so let’s share the love and try to get as many people on board as possible.
We would really appreciate it if you would please pass this on to anyone who you think may be interested in helping with this worthy cause.
May you all have a blessed Easter season.
Other interesting YEI articles: