Searching for a South African Way of War
by Evert Kleynhans and David Brock Katz
Stand the chance to WIN a copy of this book “20 battles, searching for a South African Way of War”
written by Evert Kleynhans and David Brock Katz
Favouring manoeuvre over attrition, and often punching above their weight, South African soldiers have become known for their tenacity, dash and ability to defy the odds. Their unique directive command style has also helped them to excel in defining battles and operations, from the campaign in German South West Africa in 1915 to the cross-border operations in Angola during the Border War.
In 20 Battles, military historians Evert Kleynhans and David Brock Katz investigate the evolution of South Africa’s armed forces over a century. They track the evolution of the doctrine and structure of the defence force, rediscovering historical continuity and the lessons learned in past battles and operations.
What is clear is that when South African soldiers have the freedom to operate according to their manoeuvre doctrine, such as in East Africa in 1916 and Southern Ethiopia in 1941, they can achieve stunning results. But when hemmed in by rigid doctrine and top-down command style, as at Delville Wood in 1916 and Tobruk in 1942, the results can be tragic.
20 Battles combines both battlefield drama and crisp analysis and will provide much-needed perspective on the South Africa way of war.
Enter below to stand a chance to WIN.
Terms and conditions
- The winner/s will be contacted directly by YEI, via phone and/or email.
- The name or names of the winner/s will be forwarded to the organiser of the competition.
- The book/s will be sent via courier to the winner/s of the competition by YEI or Jonathan Ball Publishers
- The names of the winners will be announced in the YEI newsletter, the YEI website and on the YEI Facebook page.
- The prizes may not be exchanged for cash.
- No correspondence will be entered into with entrants of competitions.
- By entering this competition, the participant agrees to the terms and conditions
- I consent to my submitted data being collected and stored by YEI.
Please Note the Following
- Your personal data is collected and stored purely for YEI purposes i.e. this competition – in order for YEI to contact you if you are a winner and also to ensure that the free fortnightly newsletter can be sent to you, should you sign up for it;
- YEI takes your privacy very seriously and will never disclose, share or sell your data to any third party, unless required to do so by law.
By agreeing to the above T’s and C’s, it is tacitly implied that you agree to all of the above, including consenting to your personal data being collected and stored.
Closing date for entries: Friday 3 November 2023
Click on the Facebook icon below.
Comment and share,
and you will receive an additional entry!
READ MORE: Winners of YEI competitions
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
DR EVERT KLEYNHANS is a senior lecturer in the Department of Military History at the Faculty of Military Science at Stellenbosch University (SU). He is the author of Hitler’s Spies: Secret Agents and the Intelligence War in South Africa (2021) and The Naval War in South African Waters, 1939-1945 (2022). He is also the editor of Scientia Militaria: South African Journal of Military Studies.
DR DAVID BROCK KATZ is an author and historian, as well as a part-time lecturer and research fellow in the Department of Military History at the Faculty of Military Science at SU. Katz is also an active member of the Andrew Mlangeni Regiment. He is the author of South Africans vs Rommel (2019) and General Jan Smuts and his First World War in Africa: 1914-19-17 (2022).