Greetings from the You’ve Earned It team!
You’ve Earned It/YEI is the digital media platform for South African 60-plussers!
Message from the YEI Editor
Hello YEI members!
YEI has had a wonderful 10th birthday, thanks to our fabulous clients and YEI members! We are still reeling from all the amazing congratulatory messages, some of which are featured below.
YEI’s birthday initiative that supports pensioners has taken off with a bang! We encourage you to take a look at the current list of services on offer by pensioners, and think about supporting your fellow senior!
Our birthday competitions are coming to an end, but you still have the opportunity to enter. Get your entries in for the huge book hamper, PLUS the fabulous accommodation giveaway at one of our favourite destinations asap!
There is still time to either nominate yourself or nominate a pensioner friend in the August “YEI Pensioner of the Month” award. We are loving reading your stories of strength, helpfulness, passion, commitment, courage and love. So many inspirational people out there – we wish we could give you all a little something.
In today’s issue, we look at how the challenges of the last 18 months has impacted us all. There are fascinating results revealed about the sandwich generation in Old Mutual’s article on the impact of financial pressure on South Africans.
We review the YEI vaccination survey results, which were not what we expected.
YEI’s Tech Tim is back with a tip on cookies. Sadly, not the edible kind! This is a tip – worthy of note – if you’re online, cookies are right there with you!
And last, but certainly not least, we give kudos to those businesses who support SA 60-plussers.
Marilyn and the YEI Team
YEI’s 10th Birthday has drawn to a close
Thank you to all of the clients, partners and YEI members who celebrated with us by either sending in videos or messages. For those of you, who didn’t get to see the video, click here to take a look! We have also included a few messages from YEI members below. We wish we could have featured them all, but sadly, there’s not enough space. But a huge thank you, one and all!
Oh wow, what a wonderful 10th Birthday celebratory video. So great to see all the faces of the YEI team, to read & listen to all the birthday messages. I felt so proud to be part of the celebrations. Congratulations to you all. 🍾🥂🎉🎈
Wow Happy 10th Birthday YEI. What a wonderful memorable video for such an exciting celebration. Was so wonderful to see all the Teams photos. Cheers to many more years together.
God Bless, love Bev
Love the video & love seeing YEI faces. Keep going, keep growing. Big Up 🥇 to our Senior Citizens! 💝
Ginny du Toit
Congratulations and Happy 10th Birthday YEI – awesome deals and stories you give us retirees to be able to keep on top of every day changes in this new technological world. Really appreciated all your hard back behind scenes negotiations to bring us up to date. Heres hoping for another 10 years at least. Hip Hip Hooray
Congratulations Marilyn to you, Team and e-publication on the 10 years. Wishing you many more.
Kind regards. Gerry
Well done and congratulations, Marilyn and YEI team. 10 years – what an achievement! Wishing you everything of the very best for the next decade. Keep up the good work and excellent content. May God continue to bless you as a team.
With kind regards from Frieda Wade
Thank you for a wonderful club to belong to. Always exciting and interesting articles
Huge congratulations to Marilyn and her team for a truly inspirational 10 years! May you continue to grow and prosper!
So many congratulations, Marilyn and your team. YEI deserves the success it has achieved, bringing discounts, deals and information to us seniors. I wish you continued success and many years of health and happiness.
All the best, Jilly
YEI really goes the extra mile to make life worth living for seniors. Yay! YEI!
M Maher Edwards
YEI reader recommendation
Fabulous recommendation for Golden Oldie Breakaway at Eight Bells Mountain Inn and Buffelsdrift Game Lodge, both situated between Mossel Bay and Oudtshoorn
Greetings to YEI.
My wife and I have just returned after enjoying the “Golden Oldies Special“.
What a fantastic time we had! We split it into 2 nights at Eight Bells, and 3 nights at Buffelsdrift. Both places (which we had not stayed at previously) exceeded our expectations in every respect.
Many thanks to YEI for enabling us to enjoy such fabulous places within easy reach of George, where we reside.
Geoff and Su Carter
Have you entered our book hamper competition run in conjunction with YEI’s 10th birthday – here are a few comments from YEI members re this competition
- These are really great books by good writers! An excellent prize indeed!
- Liked shared & entered. Holding thumbs & all other appendages to WIN this fantabulous books prize, what a boon for me- a chronic insomniac!
- Yippppeeeee Yay – can’t wait to R.E.A.D them all. What a selection
- Looking forward to reading this lovely selection chosen for avid readers and especially for pensioners who cannot always afford to buy all these books—thanks to YEI !
- Look forward to receiving YEI News Letter every fortnight – up to date news for 60+. Would love to win this prize – avid reader😊
- Wonderful opportunity to add such lovely books to our Retirement Complex Library. Thanks so much for the opportunity of entering the competition.
- Happy 1st “decade” Birthday YEI…You’ve definitely “earned it”!!!
Awesome book prize …Will take the boredom out of my current “read”….LoL.✨🎂🥂
- Holding thumbs……such a great selection! Thank you YEI. Congratulations on your 10th birthday🥳
- A great site for pensioners
- Great books worth reading. More than a prize, but an investment in the bookshelf. Win win!!!!
You absolutely need to enter the incredible Wonderful Wild Coast giveaway. Take a look at a few comments from our YEI members!
- What an awesome prize to win after a year of doom and gloom – losing so many friends to Covid – what’s needed is time for reflection, meditation and plenty fresh air and footprints in the soft sand – that’s all you need to revitalize your soul!
- Would love to win this and walk along the beautiful coastline of the Wild Coast. Kob Inn looks awesome.
- Love the Transkei coast. This prize is mine. I have earned it and deserve it. Thanks.
- Have not been anywhere for years, it would be amazing to spend time on the Transkei coast. Thank you for your Newsletter.
- Just celebrated 50 yrs Anniversary and couldn’t go anywhere because of lockdown and what an opportunity to celebrate on the Wild Coast. Here is hoping🥰
- What an experience this would be after a difficult two years due to my wife’s ill health , now recovered . Have not yet been to the Wild Coast but cannot wait for this magnificent prize so as to experience this magical place .
- Would love to win this, just getting out of the house would be amazing, thanks so much to YEI for the opportunity.
- Totally AWESOME prize. Grateful Thanks, Kob Inn, your Wonderful Wild Coast Getaway…will make a memorable anniversary gift to the wife & I especially during these very trying period (year) we’ve had to endure.
- Who wouldn’t want to wind down, relax or just enjoy this awesome scenery on your old age. 🤣🏄🏊🤽not forgetting 🥃🍷
- Would love to go back one more time, for my 70th birthday. Grew up in Transkei… BUCKET LIST
YEI Book Reviews
Click here to read the online book reviews on YEI!
YEI What’s On
Click here for further information
Three posts on the YEI Facebook page – not on YEI website or in newsletter
Tony Bennett retires from performing. Click here
Updating our vaccination survey results. Click here
How old do you think these guys are now? Click here
Please note that you will only be able to connect on the above links if you are a Facebook user.
RIP Don Everly. Click here
Interesting news items for senior citizens
World Senior Citizens Day – 21 August 2021 – Click here
New warning to grandparents as research shows toddlers are Covid super-spreaders – Click here
Elderly onset rheumatoid arthritis symptoms – symptoms and treatments. Click here
On a lighter note…
An elderly man living alone in Manchester wanted to plant his annual tomato garden, but it was very difficult work, since the ground was hard. His only son, Paul, who used to help him, was in prison (strange ways) . The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament:
I am feeling pretty sad, because it looks like I won’t be able to plant my tomato garden this year. I’m just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. I know if you were here my troubles would be over.. I know you would be happy to dig the plot for me, like in the old days.
A few days later he received a letter from his son.
Don’t dig up that garden. That’s where the bodies are buried.
At 4 a.m. the next morning, CID officers and local police arrived and dug up the entire area without finding any bodies. They apologized to the old man and left. That same day the old man received another letter from his son.
Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That’s the best I could do under the circumstances.
Until next month… Stay safe, stay at home and please keep well.
Marilyn and the YEI Team