Enter now and you could win yourself a copy of The Last Hurrah
– the literary surprise of the decade.
A fascinating account of a pivotal moment in South African history
and the analysis of a fractious society on the threshold of momentous change
Scroll down for entry details
The Last Hurrah
South Africa and the Royal Tour of 1947
Author: Graham Viney
From February to April 1947, South Africa welcomed King George VI, Queen Elizabeth and the princesses, Elizabeth and Margaret. The Royal Family travelled many thousands of kilometres across the country in the specially commissioned White Train. Graham Viney’s descriptions of the tour’s highlights allow the reader to follow this royal progress. In vivid prose, he provides a fascinating analysis of a fractious society on the threshold of momentous change.
The Last Hurrah also captures the political controversy surrounding the tour. There was resistance, initially, from black and Indian nationalist politicians and, throughout, from Afrikaner Nationalists. Only a year later, in 1948, Smuts’s government was defeated in a general election, a victory won essentially on DF Malan’s racist ticket. But the tour had truly been a last hurrah, a show of Empire solidarity and a recognition of South Africa’s contribution to the Allied cause during the Second World War, and specifically that of Prime Minister Jan Smuts. Wherever the Royal Family went, South Africans turned out in their thousands to cheer and welcome them.
The Last Hurrah draws on sources from far and wide, including the Royal Archives at Windsor, and includes a selection of previously unpublished photographs of the Royal Family on tour.
About the Author
Graham Viney was educated at the Diocesan College (Bishops), Cape Town, and Oriel College, Oxford, where he read International Relations. He runs an international design company. In addition to numerous papers and articles has written two books, Colonial Houses of South Africa and The Cape of Good Hope, 1806 – 1872
ISBN: 978-1-86842-924-0 | e-ISBN: 978-1-86842-925-7 | Price: R285
Click here for further information
How to enter:
Please send your entry (only one entry per person)
to email@example.com and include the following:
Contact details – name, surname, cell phone number, email address and physical address
Answer to the following question:
Who are the publishers of The Last Hurrah?
Clue: Click here
Put YEI/The Last Hurrah in the subject line of your email
Closing date for competition:
12h00 – Friday 18 January 2019
Terms and conditions:
- This YEI competition is only open to You’ve Earned It members
- By entering this competition, you agree to become a subscriber to the YEI FREE fortnightly newsletter.
- If you are not a YEI member, you may subscribe here.
- The winner will be contacted directly by YEI, via phone and/or email.
- The name of the winner will be forwarded to the organiser of the competition;
- The book will be sent to the winner of the competition by the organisers;
- The name of the winner will be announced in the YEI newsletter, the YEI website and on the YEI Facebook page.
- The book may not be exchanged for cash.
- No correspondence will be entered into with entrants of competitions.
- By entering this competition the participant agrees to the terms and conditions.