Diabetes South Africa is a non-profit organization, founded in 1969 to be a support and an advocate for all people with diabetes in South Africa.
- Empowering all those affected by Diabetes through support, education and information.
- Providing awareness to all and highlighting risk factors associated with diabetes and promoting healthy lifestyles.
Diabetes SA has a National Office in Cape Town and 7 branches around the country.
Branches are run primarily by volunteers drawn from the ranks of the membership base.
Our branches have a strong network through linkages with over 100 smaller local branches and diabetes wellness groups in South Africa.
OUR WORK INCLUDES
- Informing, educating and supporting all people who have diabetes and their families.
- Acting as an advocate for people with diabetes, lobbying for better facilities, cheaper medication and better services.
- Promoting prevention through public awareness of diabetes, its symptoms and risks.
DWe are a member of the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), which represents 146 diabetes organisations in 121 countries and representatives are intimately involved in a number of working committees on this prestigious body.
Diabetes SA has working relationships with –
- University medical departments
- State and provincial health departments
- SEMDSA (Society for Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes of South Africa – for doctors specializing in diabetes
- DESSA (Diabetes Education Society of South Africa) for specialist health care workers
- CDE (Centres for Diabetes and Endocrinology) An association of private medical practitioners and other diabetes related healthcare workers
- Non-government organizations working in related fields within the primary health care sector.
- Industry, including pharmaceutical companies and other companies servicing people with diabetes.
Diabetes SA is primarily a volunteer organisation and relies heavily on people with diabetes and their families who pool their talents, share their knowledge and experiences and give of their time to help each other. You too could be a great organizer and get everyone off on a big walk or you may, equally valuable, be a friendly face at the end of a hospital bed. Call your nearest Diabetes SA branch and see where you may be able to assist others with diabetes.
In case you have not heard about our new membership with benefits. I would encourage you to go to our Membership page and join. The benefits include:
- A free 60-page booklet with important diabetes info and recipes,
- A free pair of Mohair and Bamboo Medi Socks made by Cape Mohair, specifically for people living with diabetes.
- 20% discount on any further pairs from your nearest Diabetes SA branch.
- A free eye screening at Spec Savers throughout South Africa.
- 15% discount on URS-1K ketone Strips from Pick ‘n Pay Pharmacies.
- Regular newsletters with specials.
- Product samples
- And much more to come.
Looking forward to welcoming you to our Diabetes SA membership family.
Facebook Page: facebook.com/Diabetes.South.Africa/
Contact Number: 021 425 4440
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org