Skip to main content

Last updated:  5 April 2024

Please note: 

You’ve Earned It has obtained this information off the City of Tshwane’s website and can be found here.

Please contact your local Municipality for any enquiries regarding municipal matters e.g. rates, electricity, water etc.  You’ve Earned It is unable to assist with these enquiries.

YEI is not liable for any outdated information that may or may not be reflected on this website.


Pensioner’s Rebate on Property Rates – City of Tshwane

People who can apply for a rebate on property rates must be registered property owners who are:

  • 60 years and older;
  • Disability grantees; and/or
  • People who were medically boarded.

This is not an automatic rebate and should be applied for annually. Application forms for the pensioners’ rebate on property rates are available from any City of Tshwane office or the City of Tshwane website or click here.

The following criteria must be met:

The applicant must 

  • Be the registered owner of the property.
  • Be 60 years of age or older upon application.
  • Submit a certified copy of a valid identity document as proof of his/her age.
  • Submit proof of his/her monthly income from all sources, including the income of his/her spouse.
  • Not receive an indigent assessment rates rebate.
  • Provide medical proof of disability and/or a certificate by a medical officer of health; and
  • The applicant’s account must be paid in full or, if not, an arrangement to pay the debt must be in place.

The property concerned must 

  • Consist of one dwelling, and no part thereof must be sublet or occupied by anyone other than the applicant and his/her spouse, if any, and dependents without income, if any; and
  • Be categorised as residential.

The pensioners’ rebate on property rates is levied only for one financial year, which means beneficiaries must apply at the beginning of every financial year.

The pensioners’ rebate on property rates will terminate in the following instances:

  • Death of the applicant.
  • Alienation of the property; and
  • When the applicant ceases to reside permanently on the property.

Please note that you have to re-apply every year at the end of June.

For more enquiries on this programme, send an email to


Applying for Indigent Services

You may apply if you meet all the following registration criteria:

  • Your total monthly household income, excluding child support grants and foster care grants, is not more than the joint pensions of two old-age state pensioners.• Neither you nor any other member of your household owns fixed property other than the property where you reside.• You are 18 years or older, unless you are appointed to executorship by a court of law.• You reside at the property for which you are applying, unless you are a legal guardian applying on behalf of a child-headed household.• You are the registered owner of the property for which you are applying or a municipal tenant as defined in the Indigent Policy.• You are an occupant of the North West Housing Corporation or City of Tshwane property.• You have a services account with the City of Tshwane.• You are a South African citizen.

Registered indigent households qualify for 12 kℓ of free water per month, 100 kW of free electricity per month, free waste and sewage removal, and exemption from rates and taxes.

Documents Required for Application

Certified copies of the following documents should accompany your application:

  • Proof of income or, if you are unemployed, an affidavit to that effect (whichever is applicable)• Your identity document and those of your spouse and your dependents• Your latest municipal account• Your Eskom electricity meter number (if applicable)• A letter from the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) confirming grants (if applicable)• The birth certificates of all children in your household (if applicable)• Proof of your marital status (such as a marriage certificate, divorce certificate, proof of customary union or living together, or a death certificate, as applicable)• A three months’ bank statements (if applicable)• An allocation letter from the Department of Human Settlements (if applicable)• A formal lease agreement if you are a tenant of the City of Tshwane (if applicable)

Penalty for Programme Misuse

The City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality has the right to claim back all benefits granted in terms of this policy if it becomes apparent that registration was based on fraudulent conduct and false information by the applicant. This condition will apply even after the indigent’s status has been terminated.


Rates and rebates for pensioners in tshwane


It is important to contact the City of Tshwane directly
via their website or call their help line at 080 111 1556
regarding any queries you might have, 
and to ensure that the information is up to date.



Please note: 

YEI is unable to respond to any queries regarding
City of Tshwane rates rebates for pensioners.

Please contact the City of Tshwane directly as detailed above

While every care is taken to ensure the validity of the information YEI cannot be held liable  for any outdated information that may have been reflected on the Government department’s or Municipalities website.


Subscribe to YEI

Rebates in other cities:


City of Cape Town – Senior Citizen Rates/Electricity Rebates


Ekurhuleni Metro – Senior Citizen Rates Rebates

Nelson Mandela Bay – Senior Citizen Rates or Rebates

City of Johannesburg – Senior Citizen Rates Rebates

Ethekweni Metro – Senior Citizen Rates Rebates