021 715 7805 info@youve-earned-it.co.za
Feedback

The elderly and the water crisis in Cape Town

Posted By Marilynh / February 12, 2018 / 10 Comments

The elderly and the water crisis in Cape Town
– further update from the City of Cape Town
– 2nd February 2018

Following its’ query to the City, You’ve Earned It has just received the following from the CoCT who has sourced comment from Alderman JP Smith, Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, and Social Services.

Special provision is being made at the points of distribution for physically challenged persons. We are also engaging with National Government, Provincial Government, businesses, communities and NGOs to support us to care for our most vulnerable residents such as the elderly and those with disabilities.

Calls for support are also being made for vulnerable groups such as persons in old age homes, Early Childhood Centres (ECDs), and hospices to be supplied with bottled water.

Many organisations have already come forward to assist with the delivery of water to old age homes and to vulnerable persons throughout the city who are unable to collect water for themselves.

If you have not heard of You’ve Earned It, YEI is a platform specifically for South African seniors, featuring articles specific to SA over-60s, and savings and benefits for SA seniors, retirees and pensioners. YEI can be found at https://youve-earned-it.co.za

Previous articles regarding this topic:

Water crisis in Cape Town as Day Zero approaches

Email to a friend/colleague
Tags: ,

Comments

10 Comments

• Madeleine Hill
    February 2, 2018 at 2:40 pm

My husband is 75 and I’m approaching 70. Although we are quite active and sprightly, there is no way we can carry 25 litres of water for any distance nor stand in long queues as I have back and foot problems and my husband has had a hip replacement and finds standing difficult. We are not in a retirement complex but live in a small townhouse in Hout Bay. How would we be assisted?

• M.E. WILSON
    February 2, 2018 at 7:46 pm

Who is going to find the ‘elderly’. At what age are you considered “elderly’? If you live in your own home still over the age of 70 and have health issues, do you qualify for this assistance? Just wondering

• Shanaaz
    February 4, 2018 at 7:40 am

Hi there how will be assisted in getting water me and my husband are in our sixties living in the back yard we not able to pick up a 25 L drum

• Theresa
    February 4, 2018 at 8:04 am

With all of us having to collect water from day zero, just cannot see it working for the elderly, my husband is 70, I am 66 how in heavens name can we pick up 25 Lts of water plus carry it to out mode of transport. Senior sitizens (Pensioners) just don’t have that strength, like we had ,when we were young.

• Ronald Moritz
    February 4, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Good day, I appreciate the work you guys do. Myself and my wife are 62 year old pensioners. I am medically challanged with 50% heart failure. If it comes to day zero (hopefully not) neither me or she will be able to pick up handle our daily quota. Id there any way we can use someone to collect our water

• C. B agenbag
    February 4, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Just think for a minute. The City of Cape Town has given the go ahead for a cycle tour in March. 35 000 to visit Cape Town. How do they expect us to safe water if they do not take the lead and stop this tour? The tour management give an assurance that all contetants will have to bring their own water BUT. at least 25 000 wil come and visit friends and famalies over that weakend of which the cycle management and CTCT has no power over them. They are going to shower and use toilets. If the tour is cancelled those 25 000 will NOT come to Cape Town and thus we can safe that water. Let us all stand up against this tour.

• Krysia Long
      February 10, 2018 at 6:42 am

I agree….tourists are not going to make the effort to save water!!!!!@!@!

• C.S. Gooch
    February 8, 2018 at 9:55 am

Having read JP Smiths reply to your request for info as well as (what I consider) very valid responses from your readers I can only say JP hasnt a clue which end is up and like any politician utters totally meaningless platitudes, also known as ‘waffle” . I doubt he has elderly/disabled/infirm relatives!

• Robert
    February 8, 2018 at 8:56 pm

Many younger people , especially women cannot lift a 25 liter container of water never mind the elderly. JP Smith and the entire water committee haven’t thought this one out. My thoughts are that the DA are not interested in the elderly even though the constitution states they must be looked after.

• MARTIN MARGOLIUS
    May 3, 2018 at 2:06 pm

SOME TYPE OF COMPENSATION SHOULD BE GIVEN TO CITIZENS WHO ARE 80 AND OVER WHEN IT COMES TO RATES ECT.