Pensioner Rebates for Rates in Johannesburg
Johannesburg’s Property Rates Policy provides a varying degree of rebates for many pensioners who have reached the age of 60 or older. According to the City of Johannesburg website, the following applies:
Who qualifies for a pensioners’ rebate?
- Pensioners must own the property and personally occupy the property.
- Pensioners dependent on a National Security Grant qualify for a 100 % rebate on successful application.
- Pensioners who are not on National Security Grant, but whose gross monthly income falls below R5600 qualify for a 100% rebate on successful application.
- Pensioners who are not on National Security Grant, but whose gross monthly income is higher than R5600 but less than R10300 qualify for a 50% rebate on successful application.
To qualify for a pensioners’ rebate, you must apply to the City and must comply with the following criteria:
- You must be 60 years or older;
- Your property value must not exceed R1,5 million
- You must personally occupy the property.
How to register for your pensioners’ or Senior Citizen Rebates
Submit your forms along with the following evidence to the Customer Service Centres
- Certified copy of your ID
- Certified copy of your pension card
- Copy of your Municipal Statement
Who is billed for rates?
- The owner of the freehold property and the owner of one or more units owned in terms of the Sectional Titles Act.
- Pensioners who live in Sectional Title properties
- Pensioners who own Sectional Title, benefit from the rebates that Council offers to pensioners. This rebate is in addition to the 20% rebate that is offered to Sectional Title Unit owners.
- The pensioner rebate is valid for two years only. A fresh application is required at the expiry of the two year period.
It is important to contact the City of Johannesburg directly
via their website
or call their help line at 0860-JOBURG or 0860 562 874
regarding any queries you might have,
and to ensure that the information is up to date.
YEI is unable to respond to any queries regarding
COJ rates rebates for pensioners.
Please contact City Of Johannesburg directly as detailed above
Pensioner, Rebates, senior citizens, Senior Discounts, YEI, youve earned it