Pets are the perfect companions for seniors.
Would you like to adopt a mature pet
and take advantage of the many
health and wellness benefits of a human-pet relationship?
Like any enjoyable activity, playing with a dog or caring for a pet is good for your health. Having companion animals alleviates loneliness and depression, lowers stress levels and blood pressure. Having a companion pet in the family creates an environment of love and joy, and even gives you a good reason to get outdoors, exercise and socialise.
Pet owners come home and literally feel the love. Touch between a human and a dog or cat can have therapeutic advantages. In humans, petting a dog can trigger the release of the bonding hormone oxytocin. Feeling your pet companion’s fur can also lower your heart rate and blood pressure.
At the annual World of Dogs & Cats and PET EXPO (WODAC), at the Gallagher Convention Centre in Midrand, from 20-22 July 2018, you’ll have an opportunity to personally meet a variety of dog and cat breeds. If you are interested in finding a perfect companion that will suit your lifestyle and your lifestyle considerations, WODAC is certainly the place to visit.
If you already have a furry companion or two, you can find all the pet products you need to keep your companion pets in top health.
Brian Blades, dog-trainer and dog breeder for over 40 years, the organiser of WODAC PET EXPO says, “for those retirees who would like to have pets, but feel that a commitment of 10 -14 years, which is the average lifespan of a dog, or up to 20 years for a cat, is too great an investment, should consider adopting a more mature pet, and take advantage of the many health and wellness benefits of a human-pet relationship.”
If you love animals, and feel like a fun and therapeutic day out, SA’s biggest and best pet exhibition offers retirees a special entry rate of R90 per person for tickets at the door or R85 from Computicket. The show is also a fabulous family outing. Invite the children and grandchildren and have a fun day out. Children U/12 free on Friday and R60 at the door or R55 at Computicket on Saturday and Sunday.
Now in its 23rd year, WODAC highlights include:
- Learn more about what animal breeds will suit your family and lifestyle by getting up close and personal with popular breeds of dogs and cats; and speak to top breeders
- Stroll through the Hall of Dogs, Hall of Cats, Equine Area and Hall of exotic pets
- Discover the benefits of owning exotic pets, aquatic creatures including koi, birds, reptiles and rodents, and find out how to care for them
- Get show specials on hundreds of pet products, food and treats to keep your animals in top health
- Enjoy three days of dog competitions including the Dogs of the World Parade, Agility demonstrations, Dancing with Dogs, equine parades, the WODAC National Cat Show, informative talks at the Demo Pavilion, grooming display and a stunning display by Armand the Singing Cowboy and his beautiful horse on Saturday and Sunday only.
- Speak to animal behaviourists to learn how to keep your pets happy and healthy
- WODAC supports numerous animal welfare organisations and helps to raise funds through its very popular Celebrity Dog Jumping challenge.
Visit the website and social media page for the latest information
Tickets are available at the door or through Computicket